Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 604e with Alpha 15s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member davidw's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    604e with Alpha 15s

    I am considering a 20" wide OB with a 604e and one or even two Eminence Alpha 15s to augment the bass.

    I was thinking of either upgrading the components on the original 1500a xover or going with a new Rick Craig design. Then using two plate amps to low pass the Alphas at 150hz or so.

    That arrangement would allow the 604e to roll off based on baffle width. As an alternative, should I high pass the 604e? If so what slope and freq?

    Your thoughts would be helpful.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 604e with Alpha 15s

    Don't have time to delve deep into this, but at a glance you'll need four of these low efficiency 15s to match up to a 604E and even then may be marginal without EQ+higher power to line them up and yes you ideally want to high pass the 604.

    If you haven't already done it, I recommend reading all the pertinent OB info on MJK's Quarter-wave site and use his MathCad WS to help you.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 604e with Alpha 15s

    Well Dave - you posted the same question over on Audio Circle, got a few replies (including mine) but you never came back.

    Are you really serious about this rig?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    604e with Alpha 15s


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 604e with Alpha 15s

    My first reaction is to wonder what the heck you are thinking?

    An Alpha 15 is NOT A WOOFER!

    It is a 15 inch musical instrument speaker that probably does not even go as low as the 604.

    The whole thing is a bad idea.

    A much better idea would be to build a single sub and put the 604 in L/R cabs.

    For a cheap woofer look at Dayton Audio.

    But using a musical instrument speaker is like drinking decaffeinated coffee to wake up. Ain't gonna work.

    Disclaimer....some musical instrument speakers CAN be used as bass horn drivers. the Awful 15 is NOT one of them.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 604e with Alpha 15s

    Unfortunately OG, you're out of the loop! The Alpha 15 is super popular at the moment for use as an open baffle woofer. Why? High Qts. That low end peak that the high Q woofers have helps give the Alpha 15 some actual bass on open baffle. Little or no EQ needed.
    Martin J King is the champion of this approach. See this PDF. http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Design.pdf

    That's not to say, however, that it's the best sounding woofer.

    But the approach and the driver have their fans - and detractors. A lot of folks don't like the high Q woofer sound, no matter what.

    The the OP asked his question over on A.C., I pointed him to the 605+18" rig I'll be showing in Dallas. But I don't think he has been back to the thread since he posted.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    604e with Alpha 15s


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 604e with Alpha 15s

    I sorta know the basics on that Pano, it still sounds like a horrid idea to me.

    If I was going to do 604 on open baffle, i would use a regular sub.

    But then the old saying about opinions.

    I have to admit not being an open baffle fan. the only ones I have liked have been HUGE (caps for emphasis).

    For the cost/effort I think I could do WAY better.

    Yer mileage may vary and all that.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.